Monday, May 19, 2008

Why can't I laugh?
















I'm going through an interesting phase with Madeline, seems my laugh isn't up to proper parental standards.

Admittedly I have a lame laugh, especially when I really get going; it's weak and chirpy compared to most and it's horrible compared to those enviable throaty vivacious laughs. I love an iconic laugh; unfortunate, but true, mine is just average on a good day.





I can live with this, but my daughter can't at this point in her life. She has such a strong distaste for my laugh that she can't let me be while I am having a perfectly fabulous time laughing.
My kids are at the stage where we can laugh our heads off with each other. We have so much fun. The only problem is "The danger zone". If I enter it (and I really have no control if something makes me laugh that hard) Madeline will be so bothered she completely stops laughing, gets a look of disgust, turns on me and says "stop, you're doing it". As bothered as I am that my moment of glee has been cut short and that she even notices, I am equally intrigued at how her distaste for my laugh is stronger than her funny bone and she can switch emotions so speedy.

I can only compare it to the moment in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when the Nazis
have the ark and open it. The dust inside turns to spirits and they are floating
around looking like beautiful women. One gets right in the face of a man and he looks at it admiringly, fully enjoying the moment, only to have that beautiful spirit's face turn in an instant into a demon and then melt the face right off of him. It's quite a moment and I feel his pain (but he deserved it).

A friend of mine was recently driving her 14 year old daughter home from school when her daughter looks over at her and asks "mom, what are you doing?"? mom replies "driving" , daughter says "oh, you look weird".

"Fasten your seatbelts it's going to be a bumpy ride".

1 comment:

  1. This is funny and by the way, I like your laugh. Maddy will learn to appreciate it. Someday when she is off to college she will miss your laugh. Right, Maddy?

    ReplyDelete