Saturday, June 13, 2009

Food Inc.

Last night Derik and I took the kids to LA to see a movie, called Food Inc.



While I was driving home from Riverside on Thursday I listened to the Martha Stewart channel and happened upon an hour interview with the director of the movie.  I knew I wanted to see it and have my family see it.  I really wanted them on the same page as me when it comes to food choices.
I will admit I was willing to have them scared if that is what it took to be informed.  It took Grace a mere 8 minutes into the film before she announced "I will never eat chicken again".  I was thinking the same thing, actually, at that moment.  But the movie later on showed an ethical chicken farm and I will eat chicken still, but only organic and sparingly.
The movie traces the source of our food and I was intrigued and shocked.  At times it appeared a bit Orwellian, yes scary!
It turned out to be the opening night and we had some introductions before the movie started, including a little speech by the chef Mary Sue Milliken, who I have been watching and listening to since I was first married.  It was a cool surprise.
I am changing my ways.  I am heeding the 10 Things You Can Do To Change Our Food System, check out the website and see the movie, you and your family will be better for it.  I am sure it will be out on video in a few months.  I don't recommend it for kids under 8 and there will be tears, even from you.

6 comments:

  1. Actually, April, you should re-read 1984 and Animal Farm and compare it to our current times. Scary, indeed!! Also, have you read Crunchy Cons? I have it. By the way, when is Grace's birthday? McKenna wants to know!
    Love ya, Shonda (sorry for the long comment, but I don't think our e-mail like each other-still!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, how could I not know that you have a speech pathology degree???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting about this. I stopped eating beef when I was 8 after visiting a slaughter house with my Grandpa.
    I have been thinking about all the preservatives we eat and what is done to our food before we eat it... I have to believe this has contributed to all the cancer and diseases we are experiencing. Hmm... I may just turn into a hippie and move to Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I should re-read them, it's been 25+ years, but I could still feel the creepiness of them when I watched the movie. I will definitely check out Crunchy Cons, I love a book recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chanel, I am fully expecting you to become a hippie and will be disappointed if you don't have a thriving garden soon! I am going to live vicariously through you. Did you see the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  6. April- I was so inspired by the movie as well, those dead chickens being collected each day still haunt me. However, I went to sustainabletable.com and typed in my zip code. It informed me that Henry's and Trader Joe's are good places to buy sustainable foods. So I go to Henry's, all ready to buy free-range chicken and grass-fed beef and there's one (yes one) measily package of grass-fed beef and it's $6 per piece of meat. Aaand they sold all the brands from the four meat CAFOs that run this country- Tyson to name one. And of course, those brands were totally affordable. I was so disheartened. So I've gone back to eating factory meat once again. But I practically have to gag it down. Some day I WILL only buy meat from companies that ethically raise their animals. Diatribe over.

    ReplyDelete