Wednesday, June 11, 2008

End of the school year musings

Grace standing in front of the aquarium she made. Open House.

I am maturing, not just in age. I know this because when May hits I tend to lose the joy of life and have to push to the finish line known as "end of the school year activities". As I write this most of the USA has been out of school a couple of weeks or at least a day or two. We have 8 days left before we finish on June 19th.

Grace, turned 7 on June 9th, so her birthday falls right in the middle of the mad dash, every year.

I have to plan my calendar very tight and look at it multiple times a day in order to be prepared for the next activity, lest something terrible happens if I forget a detail; there are many details.

But I am maturing, I know this because I'm actually enjoying myself this year. I don't exactly know why either. Have I passed a milestone with my kids that lets me relax? Do I have more perspective? My kids are more than half-way through their schooling and turning 18. Am I just getting older and more mellow? I will have to think about this a little more, but I am happy, in spite of the onslaught of obligations, most are a pleasure.


A few of our many actiities:


Grace with her teacher, Mrs Darnall at Open House. Mrs Darnall was Madeline's Kindergarten teacher and Ford's and Grace's 1st grade teacher. Madeline is a little taller now.



Grace's Birthday cake. It was a pound cake surrounded by brown sugar and white chocolate shells. She had cupcakes since this was really more to look at than eat. The boys wanted the cake though and covered their pieces with brown sugar and ate it all. I wouldn't have believed it if I weren't watching it happen.




It was a warm beautiful afternoon. They played lots of beach games. It was a little confusing at first since there were three other parties going on at the same time, one a pirate party. Grace's was a mix of tropical/pirate with a treasure hunt. Madeline ran the party basically, she was in charge of all the games and kept the kids busy. There were about 15 kids. It was so confusing as kids got dropped off and some were not sure which party to go to. We tried to have Grace and others greet, but it wasn't a perfect system. Grace saw one of her friends, who did RSVP that she was coming, arrive, but thought she left. She found out on Monday that she didn't leave after all, she accidently went to another party, oops.




Creature of Emerald Bay. This kid loves attention and who doesn't love being covered in sea weed and stinking like brine. He announced to us that he is the class clown. Not exactly a surprise.




Madeline's piano recital. She played Clair de Lune by Debussy and made her mom one happy lady, because I told her back when she just started to play at age 8 or 9 that it was a favorite of mine and dreamed that one day one of my children could play it.
Madeline got taller than her piano teacher as well, Ana Georgia de Vries
On Grace's actual birthday she played some arcade games at Dave and Busters and had a burger and mud pie for dessert.
Madeline had her chorus concert last night, a highlight this year. It was fabulous and her teacher is so very talented. Anyone who can play Good Golly Miss Molly on the piano is amazing in my book!
We have a ton more to do and I left out a ton that we did, but I'm going to enjoy the next 8 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment