Derik took Madeline and Grace to Phoenix the weekend of the 14th for the "Navy Seal Fitness Challenge".
He and friend Brian McIntyre (a former Marine and current Captain for United Airlines) were up to the challenge.
Swim: 7:14, 500 yards breast stroke- S. E.: under 10
Sit Ups: 100 in 2 minutes- S.E.: 80
Pull Ups: 18- S.E.: 11
Push Ups: 90 in 2 minutes- S.E.: 80
I had a good weekend too. I cleaned out all the closets and found my Grandma Roxie Ella's wedding band that I had lost back in November. As I was cleaning the front closet, which housed all of the umbrellas, church bags, and misc. it fell from something I picked up.
I was so surprised, I really had no idea how it got in there and was getting sick just thinking about never finding it. My grandma had it since the 1920s and it was passed to my sister Terri in the 1980s, after she died. She passed it to me when I married and I consider it a family heirloom, not mine, and I didn't want to lose it on my watch.
My Grandpa was a very taciturn man and did not show much emotion. He cared for my grandma after a stroke for 10 years so lovingly, yet quietly. When he was cleaning out her drawers after she died I was in the room with him and my sister Terri. He said to Terri "I have something for you" and presented her with the ring. He began sobbing as he put it on her finger. It is one of the most touching memories of of him that I have....I am beyond thrilled to have the ring back.
Another touching moment of the "losing grandma's ring incident" is when I told my sister Terri back in November what had happened, she just smiled and very peacefully said "those things always turn up" and wow, was she right.
Derik's Birthday: #43
And finally: we have two new pets, Birmingham Rollers. They are pigeons that Ford lets out once a day and they fly in the air doing rolls. They perch a lot around our property and after a couple of hours they put themselves back into their cage and Ford locks it up. Pretty cool. We really enjoy having them, easy and fun to watch. The only worry: Hawks.

Oh April, it was so fun to catch up on everything your darling fam has been up to. I'm glad Derik has a fun crazy fit friend that he could do the Seal challenge with, very cool! How wonderful to find your Grandma's ring. The story of your Grandpa putting it on your sister made me tear up. The kids are darling as ever and the pics of the beach/sunset/Catalina make me homesick for some beach time! We miss you guys...
ReplyDeleteWow! I loved everything about this post! Way to go, Derik! That's amazing he did so well for an old guy! (Just kidding!) I also love your wedding band stories. Roxy Ella is a great name! I'm surprised you didn't use it.
ReplyDeleteGood Job Derik!! You are the fittest 43 year youngin' I know. I just turned 44 so you will always be the young one to me =) Keep it up, you look great!
ReplyDeleteGreat ring story, and what a relief! Loved the St. Patty's table!