Saturday, August 7, 2010

Diving into Summer

Summer came late this year to Laguna Beach.

(Grace in Brett's and Christy's pool)

We had "May Gray", which became "June Gloom", which became "July, why?" Not seeing the sun or feeling the warmth on your skin can start to play with your mind. August is now giving way sunny afternoons, but greedily.

(Eliza and Avery in their pool)

I remember the summer about 5 years ago when the sun rarely came out and the ocean temp stayed in the 50s and low 60s, we collected washed up crimson colored jelly fish, 30 in one day. Our local weatherman, who has kept a record of Laguna Beach weather since the late 1960s calls it "the weird summer". This summer is less weird, but we are talking about the lack of sun.



(I'm going for a dip)


If I have to endure an occassional funky summer, I am willing to do it, to live by the sea. I think everyone has to make concessions to live where they want, whether it's no sun, heat, icy roads, tornados, earthquakes, a long commute, etc. we all make our choices. I am happy with mine.


I grew up with a pool so I was a fish growing up. My first memories are of my former life guard mom giving me dolphin rides in the pool and my sister Terri telling me it was time to learn to swim and dumping me off my raft. I became a pretty good swimmer.

1 comment:

  1. Those pictures are awesome! I guess the camera is a success.

    ReplyDelete