Saturday, August 14, 2010

Pat Burnell Brian

I lost my beloved father-in-law on June 28th, 2010. We knew the pancreatic cancer was getting more aggressive, but were hoping it would slow down. I lost my own dad last year on June 24th. It has been a deeply painful, but touching 12 months.

He was one of the most vibrant people that I knew, actually he was THE most vibrant person I knew. His boundless energy and interest in life was infectious.
One of the things that I admired the most in my father-in-law, and there are many things, is he and my mother-in-law Sherry were sweethearts to the end. I loved going to Disneyland with them. They would hold hands and practically skip around, like they were still courting. I don't ever think I heard him call her Sherry, he always called her "love."

I loved his enthusiasm for new experiences and travelling. In February, he told the family that he was offered an opportunity to teach the law in Bulgaria. He said if his doctor told him that that the cancer was not spreading then "I am there". We all thought "Bulgaria"?, that was so him, needing a new adventure.

We created a blog dedicated to him and so many people have left comments about my father-in-law that really give you an essence of who he was on earth, one amazing man. Check it out here.





I was so touched at this. These are Pat's and Sherry's friends from college and they were all in the same social clubs. They have stayed good friends for all these years. The men gathered my mother-in-law and their wives and sang to them the same sweetheart song they sang to them in college. The women handled it so well, I on the other hand, was so overcome with emotion, I cried.


As tough a time it was and is, I am amazed, just like I was at my dad's death last year how buoyed up I feel by all the family and friends who carry me along. It is something I never experienced before, but all the prayers and hugs, and kind words are a balm.

No comments:

Post a Comment