Monday, October 20, 2008

Be nice. I donated Blood Today.


I just love to wear my "be nice" sticker after I give blood.  I always forget that I feel a little weak the next day and this time ( I gave blood last week) my heart literally felt heavy the next day, all day.

I guess this is the perfect reminder of how I take my healthy blood and heart for granted. 

I always think of my 5 year old niece, Eliza who was diagnosed with Leukemia when she was 3, and donate in her honor.  She has healthy blood now and is thriving!

This year my cousin Julie sent me an invitation to donate blood in her daughter's honor, who at 3 months died from a complication from her heart disorder 6 years ago, sweet Sophie.

So I donate, and so does Derik, because these girls have fought a fight I have never had to endure and a little light head and a heavy heart is always a good thing to experience as a little reminder of how precious and delicate life is.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, that is so nice. You would think as Eliza's mother I would donate as well. One day I will. It is just hard to get up there with the kids. No excuses though. It does make me happy that so many nice, healthy people donate because Eliza sure had her fair share of blood transfusions. She had too many for me to remember. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete