Monday, November 16, 2009

French Macarons

While in France Madeline and I took a pastry class to learn how to make French Macarons.
Our teacher Pino taught us how to make the fillings: Caramel, Raspberry, and Chocolate.
In the chocolate he grated in some Tonka spice, which is a nut, like nutmeg and it can only be found in Africa. Derik was so nice to indulge me in finding the specialty store where it is sold in Paris to bring some home.



I learned several new things. I learned how to make a rich caramel (no stirring or it disrupts the carmelization) and it could literally catch on fire so novices have to take it off the heat earlier than the pros. He also introduced me to an infrared laser thermomater, which I promptly bought as soon as I got home to the U.S. Very precise and easy to use, also a lot more affordable in the states. Kitchen gadgets are Tres expensive in Paris.



We made a ton of these babies. Pastry is not an easy art. We took three hours with the three of us cranking out the ingredients.


I can't explain the Macaron sensation. It is beyond amazing. They are so delicious and unless they are fresh you really haven't had one. I ate so many at the class Pino thought I was going to make myself sick. I was just pacing myself.


He brought out Pine nuts and Currents to stud some of them with. He really taught us to think outside of the box, to experiment with the ingredients.

Pino is Italian and speaks English very well having lived in NYC as a pastry chef for 10 years. His wife is American and they decided to come live in Paris when the owner of the cooking school wanted to open the business for travelers (mostly Americans)to learn to cook in Paris. Some people plan their trip just for the cooking school. Next time I want to take the Market class where he teaches you how to shop at the open market and you go back and make a great meal.



We feasted on these for days and I did finally say "enough". We got to take every last Macaron home with us. I noticed Pino wasn't the least bit intersted in them. He is probably very over them.

Macarons are a French Pastry not related to the Macaroon which is a coconut cookie that has Jewish origins.
When we got back home in the states I quickly bought my super cool infrared laser thermomater and got to work making Macarons. I had to test my skill. It took me two days to prep the fillings and then another day making three different colors of shells. I finally got them filled and delivered to my friends that I was hoping would appreciate them.
I wish I could play their phone messages they left me. It wasn't just me, Macarons are ambrosia. They are so good you just moan and can't find words other than "Oh..... My..... Gosh" and "I am eating all of them". Later they told me "I ate so many I got sick". I know the feeling!








1 comment:

  1. Oh my my my, these look amazing! I didn't know you and Mads went to Paris and had a cooking class, how brilliant!! She seems like quite the chef, the cake she made is just beautiful. What a fun trip for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete